If you’ve never had the opportunity of connecting with Tim Peters, you’re missing out. Though I’ve only connected with Tim within this last year, the impact he has had on my life cannot be overstated. His blog, TimPeters.org has been one of my primary go-to places for encouragement, challenge, ideas and thought development.
This month Tim has released a very welcomed resource to the communications world: The Volunteer Mobilization Bundle. The greatest challenge I have experienced as a communications leader has been building a team of strong and professional volunteers. For three years I fought this battle alone. After one conversation with Tim in January of 2013, I hit the ground running and constructed my communications dream team. When I saw Tim had put together this bundle (from this blog post) I had to interview him and give him an opportunity to share why this bundle is so important!
In this interview with Tim we discuss the following questions and topics:
- Why is it so difficult to build a volunteer communications team?
- How do you bridge the gap of needing professionals on your team but all you have are non-professional volunteers who are ready to go?
- The recruiting process for a communications volunteer
- Where can I begin to find the right people for the team?
- Why is training a volunteer important? Why is having a plan important?
- How do I let volunteers loose? How do I balance giving them freedom and micro-managing?
- What is the value in appreciating your volunteers and how can one do that well?
- What can someone expect when investing in the volunteer mobilization bundle?
- What would you say to the person who feels alone or is not receiving the support they need?
- Where can people connect with you?
I hope you learn as much from this interview as I have. I’d encourage you to watch the interview in its entirety and take a look at the volunteer mobilization kit if you’re ready to take that next step in developing your team.
- Tim Peters
- Church Marketing Sucks
- Steve Fogg
- Gerry True
- Velocity Ministry Management
- Phil Bowdle
*Some of the links above are affiliate links of which I will receive a portion of sales generated. Affiliate links are one way I pay for the cost of all the services I use to provide free content on my website. Full disclosure, I am a paying member of Tim’s amazing Sayge Resources program of which, this bundle was developed out of.